Spelling Bee 2016-2017
Rules and Regulations
- Only 20 students may participate from each school: 10 students for the junior session (Grades4/Year5 to Grade6/Year7) and 10 students for the senior session (Grades7/Year8 to Grade9/Year10). Only students recommended by the participating schools can take part in the competition.
- The competition will be held on Saturday, January 14, 2017 at Horizon International Schools, Shu Khinn Thar Campus, starting at 9 am for the Junior Category and 12:30 pm for the Senior Category.
- The spelling list for both junior and senior categories will be available on our website from December 1, 2016 at www.horizon.com.mm Words asked in the contest will be from that list.
- Your English language department should submit names of participants to Horizon International Schools Po Sein or Shu Khinn Thar offices by January 10, 2017.
- Participants must register including a complete registration form. Participants will not be admitted to the competition without (picture) ID. Registration is free.
- Participants should arrive at least 45 minutes before the start of their part of the competition.
- The competition has two stages, an evaluation stage and a final stage. In the evaluation stage, all the students will sit for the written format of the Spelling Bee. A random list of thirty (30) words will be read. At the speller request, the announcer will pronounce the word, define the word, and use the word in a sentence again. Twenty students per section will be shortlisted for the final stage.
- The final stage will be conducted orally in two sessions. Students will take rounds to spell words. Three words will be asked at the beginning of the oral round. Those who spell at least two of those words correctly will move on to the second round. In the second and all subsequent rounds, students will be given a single word. Student who spell the word correctly, will move on to the next round, the rest eliminated. Rounds will continue until there is a single participant remaining.
- Participants will be given 30 seconds to spell each word both in written round and 30 seconds in the oral round.
- In the oral stage, the announcer will pronounce the word. The speller may ask the announcer to pronounce the word, define and to use the word in a sentence again. The announcer will grant all such requests until the judges agree the word has been pronounced reasonably clearly to the speller.
- In the oral round judges will disqualify any speller who fails to begin spelling a word within 15 seconds after being given the word or its definition. The timekeeper will announce that time has expired by saying ‘Time!’. If the timekeeper says ‘Time’ before the speller has started spelling a word, the speller will be disqualified.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- The top 20 contestants from each category will receive certificates of participation.
Spelling Bee Application Form
Spelling Bee Poster